Hair transplantation is a very precise and careful process that is to be performed with extreme detailing and minuteness. No amount of mistake is acceptable in this case. Thus, there are some steps to be followed for providing the desired result to the person suffering from hair thinning or baldness.
Steps for successful Hair Transplant
A successful hair transplant involves mainly 5 steps that are necessary to make sure that nothing goes wrong.
- Correct diagnosis and planning: first and foremost step is to find out the reason behind the hair loss. The hair loss pattern should be evaluated too so as to ascertain the amount of hair fall when the process will actually be carried out. It is important that the hair growth during the 20s, 30s, and 40s is taken into consideration before carrying out the hair transplantation procedure. Besides, the hairline that is to be given should not be straight as it makes the hair look artificial.
- Removing hair grafts without harming the scalp or the nerves of the scalp: extraction of hair grafts is the next step after the evaluation and diagnosis is done. This is a very risky procedure as hair is to be extracted with utmost care because the skin of the scalp is thin and weak. It can make the scalp bleed or damage if the hair grafts are not taken out carefully. Thus, no ignorance can be afforded for the same.
- Making sure the storage conditions are favorable for the extracted grafts: once the hair grafts are extracted, the scalp is tender and not ready for immediate transplantation. For that time period, the hair grafts have to be stored under some required conditions so that they do not get destroyed or unfit for use. This can be done by preserving the hair grafts in a storage solution at a temperature of 4 degree Celsius.
- Placement of the graft accurately with respect to direction, angle, and density: the hair cannot be placed randomly on to the scalp. There is a direction of hair that is different in different parts of the scalp. This is because unevenly placed hair grafts do no justice to the hair transplantation procedure and the person becomes a victim of mockery.
- Post-surgical care: only the surgeon’s expertise and precision are of no help if the patient himself fails to take care of his hair after surgery. The transplanted hair follicles are quite delicate and need absolute care. This can be in the form of keeping the hair away from stress and pollution, not making them wet and keeping them dry from sweat also. This also involves giving up alcohol consumption and smoking for a few days and taking leave from work.
All in all, the success of a hair transplant procedure depends on the hair surgeon and the patient undergoing the procedure as well.