Dr. VJs Cosmetic Surgery & Hair Transplantation Centre: Hair transplant treatment is the best option for fixing the baldness problem. No doubt, the demand for the treatment with time because of the way it works and gives the desired results. One such question which people generally ask related to the treatment is that whether they should take medications following the surgery or not. Well, there is no restriction on taking them because these medications help in making the hair growth better.
Why there is a need to take medications?
- The male pattern baldness occurs because of the DHT hormone as it makes the hair follicles shrink which leads to hair loss. The DHT affects the hair which is present on the scalp which eventually affects the top of the scalp. The back of the scalp is not affected because DHT receptors are not present there so baldness does not occur there. This is the reason, during surgery hair grafts are taken from the scalp back and then transplanted where hair growth is very less.
- The patient has to take the medications so that DHT does not lead to the shedding of hair after getting the hair transplant. Although, they are not DHT blockers. The aim is to deviate the hair follicles from growing in one particular area.
So, if you are planning to get treatment or facing the problem of hair loss in excess then visit our surgeon to get the best and reliable treatment plan of Hair Transplant in Visakhapatnam.
Medications: Minoxidil and Finasteride
- Following the surgery, if you take minoxidil or finasteride they are not going to leave a bad effect on the hair. This is highly advisable by the best surgeons to make the results even better.
- During the surgery, the transplanted hair will be moved among the original hair. It might be possible they can fall in the future or get thin. To protect the hair from shedding again or reducing the hair loss the finasteride is the ideal choice.
Note*- Just make sure you take them as prescribed by your surgeon. They will give you guidance on how much dose you need to take.
Finasteride and Minoxidil dosage
Well, both of the medications are FDA approved so you won’t be facing any problem. Even research has suggested that these medications are best to see regrowth of hair.
- If you are committed to taking the medications for the long term then finasteride is recommended. This can be taken up to one year and to see its proper effect.
- The minoxidil can be used regularly. But you should not stop and then again start taking it.
When the medications should be started?
- Generally, you should wait for 2 weeks as by then scabs have healed properly.
- Minoxidil can be applied on the scalp after 15 days to help the transplanted hair grow properly.
- In the same manner, Finasteride should be used after 15 days following the surgery.