The human body is composed of various parts and each one of these is performing its own special task. There are two types of blood vessels that are comprised of the human circulatory system. One of them is arteries that are responsible for pumping pure blood from the heart to other parts of the body.
The other one is veins that carry the impure blood from the rest of the body to the heart. The functioning of arteries is dependent on the heart’s pumping. Whereas, the functioning of veins relies on the movement of muscles around the veins along with many valves and is not supported by the heart. Thus, veins are performing a more difficult function. When the valves respond to function properly or get weakened, there is a problem in the flow of blood. The blood accumulates in the vein which leads to stretching and bulging of the vein. This makes the veins enlarged and these enlarged veins are termed varicose veins.
FACTORS FOR VARICOSE VEINS
There are some factors that cause varicose veins. These are:
- Lack of activity or inactivity
- Consumption of low fiber and high refined diet
- Some genetic predisposition
- Nutritional deficiency
- Liver disease
- Hormonal imbalance
- Sitting or standing for prolonged hours
SYMPTOMS OF VARICOSE VEINS
- Varicose veins are characterized by tender and painful veins due to which legs begin to feel swollen, tender and tight.
- Dry or itchy skin on or near the varicose vein
- The appearance of ulcer on the varicose veins
SOME EFFECTIVE HOME REMEDIES FOR TREATMENT OF VARICOSE VEINS
The varicose veins generally do not have any health risks associated with them. Still, some home remedies can help to get rid of varicose veins and reduce the pain caused by them.
- Diet: a person having varicose veins should consume a diet that is rich in fibers such as fresh fruit, dark leafy vegetables, nuts, seeds, and soaked whole grains. This can help in getting rid of constipation and varicose veins. Eating onion, fresh garlic, ginger, and cayenne make way for blood circulation.
- Water intake: water intake, as well as drinking fluids such as fresh fruit juices, helps to keep the digestive system on track. This makes the digestive system hydrated and moist.
- Avoiding some foods: there are some foods that decrease the blood circulation in the body such as hydrogenated oils and they also increase inflammation. Not only this, caffeine and alcohol adversely affect the body by dehydrating it and aggravating the pain of varicose veins.
- Exercise: it is a very well known fact that exercise improves blood circulation in the body. So, spending 10-15 minutes of the day on some simple exercises such as swimming, cycling, walking or yoga help to improve the movement of blood in the body. With this, the varicose veins either get reversed or do not appear at all.
- Wearing loose clothes: wearing too tight clothes makes the body and veins tight. We do not realize but the veins of the body get contracted and blood circulation is lowered down by the regular wearing of tight clothes. Thus, wearing loose clothes can aid people with varicose veins and they themselves can experience the improved blood circulation.
- Wearing the right type of footwear: flat shoes are more ideal for people suffering from varicose veins and leaving the habit of wearing heels can help them in getting relief from varicose veins in the legs.
- The position of legs: it is ideal for people to keep their legs elevated to a height such that they reach at the same height as their heart or are over it. This makes the blood circulate freely. People can practice this while sitting or resting.
- Massage: massage is another very effective home remedy for varicose veins. Massaging gently on the varicose veins helps to make the blood movement easy through them. The massage can be done either with some essential oil or moisturizer. No pressure should be exerted while massaging as it can damage the tissues.
- Keep moving: Prolonged sitting or standing is the biggest culprit for varicose veins. Thus, it is important to avoid continuous sitting or standing. One should keep moving or changing positions to make the blood circulate freely.
Overall, varicose veins are responsible for making the person uncomfortable. Their treatment is possible with some simple home remedies and change in dietary patterns.