What is Traction Alopecia?
This is a type of hair loss which occurs because the hair is being pulled in the same direction for a long time. This problem can happen with any person who wears the hair tightly specially when it is pulled back whether it can be braids, ponytail, or dreadlocks. This problem can also occur when a person wears tight hear-wear every day.
Traction Alopecia In Sikh
In Sikh, the problem of traction alopecia is very common because the strain is put on the hair when they wear it very tight. The hair shafts get damaged because of the stress it put on the scalp. When the hair is pulled very tight it can put tension on the hair roots which can lead to scar tissue.
Signs of traction alopecia include:
- Hairline starts receding around the forehead, temples, or nape
- Small pimples appear on the scalp
- Redness and itching on the scalp
- The partnering increases
- Patches of thin hair in places where the hair are in strain
- Scarred skin in more advanced cases
In case, the problem is increasing or getting severe then you should seek help from our surgeon to get the best treatment of Hair Transplant in Visakhapatnam. When you consult the doctor they will diagnose your condition and according to that, the suitable treatment plan will be given to you.
Tips for preventing the Traction Alopecia
- The best way to deal with the problem is by reliving the stress so that hair grows properly. But, the issue of scarring can lead to permanent alopecia which is skin condition like dermatitis and psoriasis. So, taking proper care is very essential.
- Choose a turban which is of light type. You should use the material which is light. To secure the turban place it with a very less amount of pressure. You need to reduce the pressure on the hair so that the hair follicles do not lead to stressful conditions.
- You should not wind the turban around the head very tightly. Use grips for securing it at the scalp back. This way the pressure will be reduced on the hair in the front. This is because, in the front, the problem of hair loss is very high.
- You can make changes the hair you tie the turban. Keep in mind that when the stress on the hair is minimized it will solve the problem of hair loss.
- Well, here wearing the turban is not a problem. You need to take proper care of the hair. Following a healthy hair care-regime will make the hair strong and it will not lead to any problem.
- Make sure you comb the hair properly
Traction alopecia is a very common entity in Sikhs all over the world which accounts for millions in numbers. It is rarely discussed because it is conveniently hidden under the turban but hair loss and skin problems associated with it are a big problem issue amongst Sikhs and covering it under the turban does not take away their worries and stress due to hair loss.
The Thumb rule to stop Traction Alopecia is to detect it at an early stage and change your hairstyle that puts an unnecessary strain on hair that leads to permanent hair loss which will require hair transplant to be done as last option to treat hair loss as it can restore hair permanently.
Wearing a turban should not be a problem. The problem is not taking proper care of the hair. One should properly frequently comb hair, keep hair open and allow the hair roots to relax and breathe, tie loose knots, do not tie the turban too tight, buy light fabric while selecting turban as the weight of the extra fabric will put additional strain on the hair.
It is for you to decide to take the initial steps of prevention and if this is not feasible due to the late stage, opt for the right treatment at right time because time lost is hair loss. The amount of hair that goes with passing time may be impossible to retrieve. Act in time to save your hair.