The young individuals nowadays are extremely focused on attaining a definite shape of the body. They are very much into making a six-pack abs, eight-pack abs, strong muscles, athlete type body. For this, they join the gym and consume a lot of things such as body supplements and give up on eating many things too. These body supplements are possibly harmful to their body.
Do body supplements result in the loss of hair?
Body supplements can definitely lead to hair loss. The reason behind this is while they are giving the desired muscles mass and shape to the body of the individual, they are inducing hair fall on the other side. This is because body supplements such as protein shakes, creatine, and growth hormone supplements contain elements that are responsible for the increase of testosterone in the male body. With the increased testosterone level, there is muscle gain as wanted by the male. However, this also brings about an increase in DHT. DHT is a hormone that is responsible for the loss of hair follicles when present in excessive amount. Thus, the increased level of DHT leads to falling of hair and baldness.
It must be noted that all the protein shakes do not lead to loss of hair. Rather, protein is vital for the growth of hormone but certain elements present in some specific types of protein shakes cause hair fall. These can be non-organic protein shakes that have growth hormone in them or protein shake that has branch amino acids.
The protein shakes that are growth hormone free or whey protein shakes can help both in bodybuilding as well as hair growth.
What can be done to counter hair loss caused by body supplements?
Now when it is clear that body supplements are the culprits by raising the presence of DHT which ignites hair loss, it is important to reverse the hair fall caused by the same.
- The best way to do this is by stopping the consumption of creatine and supplements that contain growth hormones to stop the hair loss. Discontinuing these will also result in re-growth of the hair follicles when the body returns to its normal functioning.
- The other way is to introduce Propecia or Minoxidil to reverse the effects of DHT in the male body.
- Including healthy diet enriched with vitamins, minerals, and good fats are essential to support and speed up the hair growth.
- Exercising is also a good option to support hair growth as it increases blood circulation and the increased flow of blood and oxygen reaches the scalp and supports the growth of hair follicles. Secondly, it releases tensions and stress which are detrimental to hair growth.
- The last method to restore the lost hair follicles is hair transplant if no treatment responds to hair fall.
All in all, hair fall induced by body supplements as long as they are taken. Once their consumption is stopped, the hair starts regaining in a short span of time.