Hair transplant is a procedure where hair is removed from one area to another. Due to hair loss and baldness, hair transplants are commonly used to restore hair in the different parts of the body where it is needed. Hair transplantation is a surgical technique where instruments are used on a patient after the administration of local anesthesia to harvest and implant hair where it is necessary. Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) and Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT) are used.
Men and women with thinning hair and baldness can undergo a hair transplantation procedure to increase or restore hair on their scalp. Men are mainly affected by male pattern baldness where hair loss is visible on the top or on the front of the scalp. Hair loss also occurs in men and women due to genetic factors or hormonal changes.
The process Hair Transplantation
- The process begins with consultations to a surgeon or a dermatologist who gives all the proper information about the transplantation technique
- The steps of FUT are similar to those FUE and the only difference comes from the way hair grafts are harvested and treated before implanting them
- On the real day of the implantation procedure, the hair in the donor area is trimmed for easy identification of the follicles
- Local anesthesia is administered to a patient to prevent pain and discomfort during the procedure
- Extraction: In FUT, a strip is cut from the donor area along with the follicles and the tissue after which, the wound is sutured. In FUE, hair follicles are individually extracted and there is nothing like a strip done
- In FUT, the hair follicles are taken to the laboratory where they are dissected using a microscope and preserved in a solution until they are implanted into the recipient region
- Slits are made in the recipient region
- The hair follicles are implanted into the recipient region and the density is followed here. Hair follicles of 1 and 2 are placed in the front and those of 3 and 4 are put in the incisions at the back. This is done to create a proper density in both the hairline and the behind part of the scalp.
FUE VS FUT Hair Transplant
Patients can go in for FUT or FUE, but each technique has its advantages and disadvantages. Hair transplant in India is taken to be a permanent solution for hair loss and the benefits are seen from the patients who have had hair transplant procedures.
The advantages of FUE
- FUE leaves no linear scar which may be visible to others- a linear scar is only created in FUT and there are no sutures made
- It is a minimally invasive technique- there is limited bleeding and incisions made in the scalp
- It is for both men and women- men and women can all benefit from this technique since it leaves no visible scars
- Natural looking hair line- this is because it is an advanced procedure where artistry is used
Advantages of FUT
- It produces a greater density- this is because more hair grafts are implanted
- There is a higher rate of graft survival- a special solution is used to keep the hair grafts at the right temperature until they are implanted
- More hair grafts are extracted in the shortest period of time- since a strip is used